The Players


Frank Werber


An erudite cosmopolitan, Frank Werber "discovered" the Trio at the Cracked Pot in 1957. Recognizing their tremendous potential, Werber converted the rag-tag band into a highly polished performing act. Artfully negotiating with club owners, record labels and the broadcast industry, he propelled the Trio to the top. Werber managed the group's business interests until the (Stewart) Trio broke up in 1967. He will always be known as the Trio's fourth member.


David Buck Wheat


The Trio's first bassist, David "Buck" Wheat, will be remembered for his subtle jazz influence during the early years. Wheat left with Dave Guard in 1961 to form The Whisky Hill Singers, but can be heard on the album College Concert, the Trio's first live recording with John Stewart. He died in 1985, at the age of 63.


Pat Horine
The New KT

Pat Horine


When The Kingston Trio broke up in 1967, Bob Shane hired partners Pat Horine and Jim Connor to form The New Kingston Trio. The group had some success and actually turned out some very well-received songs, "Nellie" and "Grandmother's Featherbed" to name two. Pat was an amazing guitar player, and had a beautiful voice. "An extremely talented guy," Bob Shane said. And a good friend." Pat died in 2006, at the age of 59, in a house fire.


Don MacArthur
Road Manager


Don MacArthur was a childhood friend of Nick Reynolds, and the Kingston Trio's second road manager, during some really peak years for The Kingston Trio. "He was a super road manager, Bob Shane said. "He always did a perfect job and took really good care of us." Don remained closd friends with all of the Kingston Trio members throughout his life. In later years he helped young kids turn their lives around for the better. He was very dedicated to the kids, and helped them in many ways until the end of his life. He died in 2013, at the age of 80.


Joe Gannon
Road Manager


In 1956 & early '57, The Kingstons were a quartet. Nick, Dave, Joe Gannon and Barbara Bogue performed at clubs in the San Francisco Bay Area intermittently as Dave Guard and the Calypsonians, The Dave Guard Quartet, The Kingstons, and finally, The Kingston Quartet. When Bob joined the group in May of 1957, Joe and Barbara left - Joe to pursue business interests and Barbara to marry Joe. Joe returned in the 60's as the Trio's business manager.


Voyle Gilmore
Capitol Records


Perhaps more than anyone else, Voyle Gilmore is to be credited for the Trio's remarkable sound on record. A gifted and versatile producer, he was also responsible for many of Frank Sinatra's recordings. Gilmore's brilliant work with the Trio in the early years stands out even in today's high tech, digital world. Voyle died in 1974, at the age of 67.


Bobby Haworth
Guitar, Vocals


Bobby Haworth joined the Kingston Trio in 1985, fresh from the legendary singing group The Brothers Four. He performed with the Trio for 3 years-until Nick came out of retirement in 1988. When Nick retired for the second time in1998, Bobby rejoined the group. Bobby brought his own style to the Kingston Trio. He re-introduced the conga drums and played the saw-a lost art and a real crowd-pleaser. Bobby's wit and abiltiy to entertain were Kingston Trio staples during his tenure. In 2005, Bobby left The Kingston Trio and is now persuing a solo career. His one man band act and original songs still please the crowds wherever he goes.

Roger Gambill
Guitar, Vocals


North Carolina native Roger Gambill added his considerable talents to The Kingston Trio in 1972, remaining with the band until his untimely death in 1985. Roger's love of music and skill as an entertainer were a pleasure to behold for anyone fortunate enough to see him perform with The Trio. His humor, talent and warmth are greatly missed by all who knew him.

Charlotte Larson
Personal Secretary


As a personal secretary to the Trio in the early years, Charlotte Larson not only helped manage the Trio's myriad affairs, but also was responsible for handling the mountains of mail arriving at their San Francisco offices each day. Stylish and hip, she blended beautifully with the Trio's image and was a natural member of the team during the heady days of the late 50's & early 60's.


Dean Reilly


When bassist "Buck" Wheat left the Trio in 1961, Dean Reilly jumped in with scarcely a missed beat. Like Wheat, Reilly played folk music in the jazz tradition, sustaining the hep sound fans had come to know and love during the Wheat tenure. Reilly remained with the group until its dissolution in 1967.


Stan Kaess
Electric Bass


A family man who distinguished himself in the group by leading a quiet life on the road, Stan Kaess was the Trio's first electric bassist. Stan died suddenly in 1986 at the age of 40, having played with the group longer than any member except Bob at the time.


Frank Sanchez


When Bob put together the New Kingston Trio in 1969, he recognized the important contribution that Nick's congas had made to the Trio's sound in the early years, and brought Frank Sanchez in to play congas and bongo with the new group. Frank left after a brief stint, but returned to provide percussion on the Trio's 1994 release, Live at the Crazy Horse.


Ben Schubert
Fiddle & Bass


Ben Schubert plays guitar, fiddle, mandolin, banjo and bass. He joined the Trio in 1975 and, like Cal Ripken, was there with the team every night. Not only did his accompaniment embellish the Trio's sound, but his warmth and intelligence provided a measure of sanity to this entourage on the road. In 2002, Ben retired from the group because he decided his house needed painting. As far as we know, he's still painting. Who knows? Like Paul, Ben may return.


Tom Green


Tom Green played drums with Nightsmoke, the opening act for The Kingston Trio at a concert in Denver in the summer of 1975. Intrigued by his soft touch, Bob asked Tom to sit in with the Trio the next evening. The chemistry was right, so Bob brought Tom on as the first and "only" drummer. After nearly 20 years on the road, Tom left in 1994 to "become better acquainted with his family." He now lives in the same small town in Wisconsin where he was born.


Cary Black


One of the Trio's most talented bassists, Cary has been traveling the world since 1988 performing with a number of jazz, blues and folk artists. When he's home in Olympia, WA, he works as a record producer and teaches music at The Evergreen State College. Cary fondly recalls his adventures with the Trio and assures us that his life still hasn't returned to normal.


Paul Gabrielson

An avant-garde musician from Seattle, Paul Gabrielson played bass with the group from 1988 to 1999. After taking a few years off to persue his interest in jazz, Paul rejoined the group in 2002. Paul has his own sucessful jazz trio under his own name and also does freelance artist work. Reports that Paul's mother lost him to Bob in a card game are grossly exaggerated.
Montie Pierce
Road Manager

Montie met Bob & The Trio during his tenure as Stage Mgr. at The Nugget in Reno, where The KT performed often. He kept in touch with, and when he moved to San Francisco was offered a roadie gig with his college idols. Part of his job was keeping tabs on Roger Gambill, who he remembers as one of the craziest & funniest guys he has ever come across. Montie says he would do it all over again in a heartbeat.
Russ & Nikki Gary

Bob first met Russ Gary in 1973, when Russ was producing a very successful concert tour for the Limeliters. Bob went to see Russ during this tour and asked him to manage the Trio. Russ agreed, and the first engagement he booked through his company called Fuji Productions was the Northwest Tour in June 1974. At that time, Bob was leasing the name The New Kingston Trio from Kingston Trio, Inc. (which owned, among other things, the very successful Trident restaurant in Sausalito, Ca.).

In 1976, Bob and Russ met with Nick and Frank to discuss the Kingston Trio's future. At this time Russ suggested that Bob buy the name The Kingston Trio. Bob was $10,000 short, so Russ Gary wrote Bob a personal check for that amount so they could close the deal. It is safe to assume that without Russ Gary's help, there might not be a Kingston Trio today. Russ kept the Trio working 30 weeks a year, and when he died on January 1, 1989, his wife Nikki took over as the Trio's manager, a position she holds to this day. She keeps The Trio working 30 weeks a year under the original company name Fuji Productions.